Tuesday, July 10, 2012

App Happy Post 1/5

I have to admit that yesterday in class I was a bit intimidated by all things google.  But in the time I have spent exploring, it doesn't seem that scary.  I have been playing around on Google+ (and as a obsessive Facebooker will likely blog about this too), beginning my site, checking out google tools, etc.  

One thing I keep coming back to is the Chrome Web Store.  Who doesn't love a good app?  I was one of the lucky teachers who got an iPad from the district office last year.  I loved, loved the ability to use such a fun and exciting way to help my students.  They only saw what they did on it as a game.  Erin showed me some awesome apps and I used many of them on a daily basis.  There were some "annoyances" that I found using the iPad in school:  iTunes would not stay downloaded on the computer, many apps required me to connect to the iTunes store in order to use them, our 3g service was sketchy, etc. 

Anyway, from what I am seeing on Chrome, these apps are available to use right on the computer using Chrome.  I have been "adding" the apps like crazy. I immediately started adding food apps (I am hungry), and personal training apps (I should be running), but saw a whole section on Education (oh yea, that's why I am here).  Back on track, I have found some really cool apps that I would absolutely use in school.  

I want to focus on one in general called "ScootPad".  It is an app for parents, teachers and students.  As a teacher, you can add a class of students in grades 1, 2, or 3 and it creates a curriculum based on Common Core Standards.  Teachers can add concepts from the ConceptBank in both math and reading.  You can then track progress in an easy way.  Students choose their own avatar, mood and then begin practice in reading and math.  They earn coins for answers correct.  There are some other cool features like a class wall, leaderboard and progress reports.  The only negative thing I have noticed is that students have to be able to use the keyboard and mouse efficiently and be able to read the questions.  

That is all for now, you can check it out here http://www.scootpad.com/kids and watch the 2 minute video here:

See ya!

3 comments:

  1. Love the title of your blog, and your first post. Very appropriate for the class and represents your personality so well. The chrome web store is fairly new to me as well. One of the things about a course of this type, and specifically Google is there is ALWAYS something new. I'm not familiar with ScootPad so I will definitely be checking out your link and the app so I can share it with others. It certainly seems like it has all the musts for student users, like avatars.

    Thanks for a great morning read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved you blog. Happy and light hearted just like you! I took sometime and browsed the chrome store! There looks to be some really neat apps and will go back to research more in depth. Like your video on ScootPad! Really like how you can track progress and how it follows the common core. Actually tutoring a child tomorrow and will use it for mastery of basic math facts. Peter is going to be my guinea pig first!!!!! Nice job. Really fun read!

    ReplyDelete